RFTA Bus Fares
Click fare chart to enlarge
RFTA fares are based on length of route. Use the RFTA fare chart to determine the cost to ride anywhere between Aspen and Rifle. The RFTA fare chart does not apply to the Maroon Bells shuttle service.
GET A DISCOUNT ON YOUR RIDE AND PAY YOUR BUS FARE WITH ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
FREE – THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF PERSONS AND SERVICE ROUTES WHERE NO FARE IS REQUIRED:
- FREE service within each zone. Use the zone map to the right to view the RFTA fare zones. There is no charge to ride within each fare zone.
- Children 5 and under in groups of 9 or fewer (Parent must declare child status upon boarding any fare bus) (For larger groups of kids visit our Kids on Buses information page)
- Seniors 65+ (Must declare status to driver when boarding and show a valid Photo ID to prove age)
- All City of Aspen routes
- Aspen to/from Snowmass Village
- Aspen/Snowmass Village to/from Woody Creek (winter & summer service only)
- Carbondale Circulator
YOUTH AGES 6-18 RIDE FOR ONLY $1
Youth ages 6 through 18 ride any RFTA regional route for just $1 when leaving the free zone. This includes VelociRFTA BRT, Valley Local and Hogback routes. Youth must declare status upon boarding the bus and be prepared with to pay $1 fare with a RFTA Mobile Ticket, Stored Value Card or exact cash fare.
Youth riders are welcome (but not required) to obtain a photo ID card from a RFTA Customer Service location for easier boarding to pay their $1 fare.
RFTA has a program that provides discounted passes to the veterans and disabled in our area. Visit our Select Discount Card page to learn more.
SENIORS RIDE FREE
Individuals must be 65 years old or older to qualify for free rides on RFTA regional routes. They must declare their status to the driver when boarding the bus and show a valid Photo ID to prove age. Seniors may obtain a RFTA Senior ID pass for easy boarding at either by filling out the online form or in person with an appointment at the Carbondale Maintenance Facility. Please visit the Senior Fares page for more information.
BE FARE READY
Please “Be Fare Ready” before boarding your bus. This means having your mobile phone (RFTA Mobile Tickets) or bus card (Stored Value Card, 30-Day Zone Pass or Seasonal Zone Pass) or exact cash fare in your hand before boarding the bus. Learn how to use the Fare Box before boarding.
Has your stored value card become defective or expired, but still has value on it? View our Bus Pass Replacement Page for information on how to exchange it.
Call Rubey Park Transit Center at (970)925-8484 or email email@example.com.
Q&As Regarding RFTA’s Fares
Have the prices for RFTA fares changed?
RFTA has not changed its fare prices.
To purchase a Seasonal Zone pass please visit www.rfta.com/fares/fares-passes/seasonal-zone-passes/
What if my pass will not work in the Fare Box or I am having trouble with a Ticket Vending Machine?
If your Stored Value Card or 30-day Pass has become defective or expired, but still has value on it please visit our bus pass replacement page at www.rfta.com/fares/bus-pass-replacement/. Or you can call 970-384-4957 or email Passorder@RFTA.com
Please be aware that in-person visits to the RFTA Carbondale Maintenance Facility will be by appointment only, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for appointments. Be prepared to be outside for the duration of your appointment. Additionally, the Rubey Park Transit Center will be open on a limited basis beginning August 1st with restrictions in place regarding social distancing. Masks are required at both facilities. Details available at www.rfta.com/fares/bus-pass-replacement/.
For Ticket Vending Machines issues or Senior Passes please call 970-384-4865.
Where can customers purchase fare cards?
RFTA has provided several options to make purchasing fare card as convenient as possible.
- Sales outlets – Stored Value Cards can be purchased at RFTA authorized Sales outlets from Aspen to Rifle. For all locations visit rfta.com/fares/where-to-buy.
- Ticket Vending Machines – TVMs are a convenient way to purchase Stored Value Cards and 30-Day Zone passes. TVMs are located at RFTA BRT Stations from Rubey Park Transit Center to Glenwood Springs 27th Street Station. For all locations visit rfta.com/fares/where-to-buy.
- Seasonal Zone Passes can be ordered through RFTA staff and are available are pro-rated rates. For more information on this program visit rfta.com/fares/fares-passes/seasonal-zone-passes/. Or you can call 970-384-4957 or email Passorder@RFTA.com.
- Select Discount Passes, Youth Passes, or Pass Bulk orders and Replacement Passes please call 970-384-4957 or email Passorder@RFTA.com
What if I cannot afford RFTA fares due to my current financial situation?
For those who may be experiencing financial challenges, we encourage them to call 970-384-4957.