KIDS ON BUSES
KIDS ON BUSES Tips on Transportation for Daycares, Camps, Preschools, Schools and Other Groups
RFTA is happy to provide transportation on our regular routes for groups throughout the Roaring Fork Valley and I-70 Corridor.
This information is to give child care providers some useful information regarding using the bus with groups of kids.
We want everyone to have a safe and enjoyable trip and these tips may help make it easier. Please be aware that RFTA is more than happy transporting your group, however, we do have restrictions on how groups of 10 or more must use the system in order to ensure the safety of all our passengers. Please take the time to read through and be sure to share the information with your staff.
In an effort to ensure the safety of all passengers, and to encourage groups to split up into more manageable sizes, RFTA has instituted a fare policy relating to kids age five and under. On VelociRFTA, Valley and Grand Hogback routes, for groups of ten or more kids (age five or younger), each child is charged one dollar. If there are nine children (age five or younger), they are all free. Ten is the magic number not including the chaperone(s). If some of the kids are age six or older and are charged child’s fare, the policy is still in effect – the remainder of the kids who are age five and under are charged one dollar each.
PLEASE UNDERSTAND OUR CAPACITY CONSTRAINTS
- RFTA is at capacity most of the day, prior to group boarding.
- Large groups are difficult for ANY transit system to handle along with their regular passengers on the fly.
- Safety becomes an issue if for instance, the bus is full and all kids can’t be seated. Other safety considerations are when kids run in front of a bus and/or cross the street in an unsafe manner and jeopardize their own safety and that of others.
WHAT CAN YOU DO PRIOR TO THE DAY OF YOUR ACTIVITY?
- For large groups, call Dispatch 24 hours in advance with the number of people in your group, bus stop pick-up/and return information. Call (970) 384-4955
- When possible, provide RFTA with schedules/ calendars of planned trips with groups, and communicate with other providers to avoid schedule overlaps.
- Plan ahead, and avoid traveling with groups during peak commute hours (6-9am/3-6pm, M-F).
- Review personal responsibility and proper bus etiquette with your kids. Explain how their actions have impacts on other passengers and RFTA staff.
THE DAY OF THE ACTIVITY
- Use the Local bus (rather than the Xpress) when possible.
- If the bus is busy or crowded, please be prepared to split up groups of 15 or more.
- Call Dispatch if the number in your group has changed from what was phoned in.
- Upon boarding, have the group leader be the first on the bus providing: number of kids/adults in group, method of payment, and whether or not all members of the group are on board yet.
- If more than 10 kids from one school, a fee will be charged (no splitting the group to avoid charge).
- Feel free to ask passengers to move belongings to free up seats when the bus is full.
- Safety caution: Please be sure that all kids exit the bus from the FRONT door at all times.
- If issues arise, avoid confrontation. Deal with it patiently and report it later by calling Dispatch, (970) 384-4955.
THINGS TO REMEMBER
- Groups of 10 or more MUST GIVE 24 HOURS ADVANCE NOTICE TO RFTA DISPATCH.
- If the bus is busy, please be prepared to split up groups of 15 or more.
- Avoid traveling during peak hours when the buses are already crowded (6:00 am – 9:00 am; 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm).
- Kids in groups of ten or more (not including the chaperone – the chaperone pays the adult fare) must pay a $1 per child fare on all fare buses for kids under five; kids six and over pay the regular fare whether in a group or not.
- Please be sure to have all children exit the bus through the front door, so the driver can see that they exited safely before departing.
If there is anything in our policy which in unclear, feel free to call (970) 925-8484 for clarification.
In addition, if you feel at any time that you are not getting an adequate response you may call one of our operations directors or managers:
John Hocker: 384-4963
Kent Blackmer: 384-4964
Dave Iverson: 384-4951
Lou Gregorich: 384-4853