ADA Complementary Paratransit Service
ADA Complementary Paratransit service is provided to individuals who, because of an accessed disability, are unable to independently ride a bus, get on/off a bus, or get to/from a bus stop. Service is provided to an accessed, eligible rider who has requested and reserved ADA Complementary Paratransit service in advance of the day and time they need to use the service.
RFTA determines eligibility based on functional considerations and determines which individuals can most benefit from ADA Complementary Paratransit service, and which individuals can be best served by the regular accessible RFTA bus services. Difficulty in using the fixed-route service is not necessarily an indicator of whether or not an individual is eligible to use ADA Complementary Paratransit service.
Inconvenience in using the fixed-route service is not a basis for eligibility. All ADA Complementary Paratransit vehicles are accessible to individuals with disabilities and are equipped with wheelchair lifts and securement devices.
To determine ADA Complementary Paratransit eligibility the applicant must complete and submit to RFTA, the ADA Complementary Paratransit Application form. If ADA Complementary Paratransit status is granted, the ADA Complementary Paratransit status will be effective for the length of time indicated on the determination of eligibility letter.
Applying for Service
To apply for ADA Complementary Paratransit service call (970) 384-4855. During the phone application process the following information and questions will need to be answered.
- Date of Birth;
- Mailing Address;
- Telephone number(s);
- What barrier(s) do you have that prevent you from accessing public or private transportation that is available in your area?
- In what way does this barrier(s) prevent you from utilizing the existing services that are available in your area?
- In your opinion is this barrier(s) permanent? If no, when will the barrier(s) be removed?
- Do you utilize any assistive devices for ambulation? If so, what?
- Do you have a Personal Care Provider’s professional report to substantiate this request? (Not an automatic qualifier).
- Following the telephone application a RFTA representative will send the individual an application package, within five (5)
- A representative from RFTA will contact the individual after the completed application package is If application is not received within 21 days a follow-up application will be mailed.
- An in-person functional ability assessment will then be scheduled and
- After the in-person functional ability assessment is complete, a RFTA representative will provide a written determination of eligibility
Send completed application to:
Roaring Fork Transportation Authority
ADA Complementary Paratransit Service Coordinator
1517 Blake Avenue, Suite 201
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601
- Unconditional eligibility is granted to those riders who are unable to ride the fixed-route services, independently, under any conditions. Individuals with unconditional eligibility who are able to use the fixed-route services, with the assistance of a Personal Care Attendant (PC) are encouraged to do so whenever
- Conditional eligibility is granted to riders who are eligible for RFTA’s ADA Complementary Paratransit service, only when certain conditions exist (i.e. wet or icy conditions, cold temperatures, nighttime, geographical or architectural barriers and distance). Conditionally eligible riders are required to use fixed-route services whenever conditions permit. The eligibility determination letter will indicate the conditions under which the individual can schedule ADA
- Temporary eligibility is granted to riders with a short-term illness or injury that prevents them from using the fixed-route services. Temporary eligibility commonly lasts from 1 to 12 months. Riders with temporary eligibility will be assigned an eligibility expiration date. If service is required beyond that date, riders will need to
- Glenwood Springs ADA Complementary Paratransit service area is within ¾ miles from the Ride Glenwood Springs fixed-route
- Aspen ADA Complementary Paratransit service area is within ¾ mile from any of the six (6) RFTA fixed-routes in the City of Aspen; Hunter Creek, Cemetery Lane, Castle Maroon, Burlingame/Highway 82, Mountain Valley Dial-A-Ride, Galena Street, and Cross Town Shuttle (only four (4) fixed-routes are provided during the spring and fall off- seasons). ADA Complementary Paratransit service is also provided between Aspen and the Aspen Airport and to/from the Maroon Bells during the
- Carbondale ADA Complementary Paratransit service area is within ¾ mile from the Carbondale Circulator fixed-route.
Hours & Days of Operation
- Glenwood Springs ADA Complementary Paratransit service
- Seven (7) days a week
- 6:53 a.m. to 7:53 m.
- Aspen ADA Complementary Paratransit service
- Seven (7) days a week
- 6:20 a.m. to 2:00 m.
- Carbondale ADA Complementary Paratransit service
- Seven (7) days a week
- 5:02 a.m. to 8:41 m.
To request ADA Complementary Paratransit service call (970) 384-4855, seven (7) days a week, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., requests are to be made one day prior to service. Requests for service can be scheduled up to seven (7) days in advance. In the event that a dispatcher is unavailable to schedule your reservation, please leave the following information:
- First and Last Name;
- Telephone Number;
- Date and Time of Requested Pick-Up or Appointment Time;
- Pick-Up Point Address;
- Personal Care Attendant or Service Animal, if applicable;
- Mobility Aid(s), if applicable;
- Description of Assistance Needed, if applicable;
- Address or Name of Drop-Off Location;
- Requested Return
Pick-up times are scheduled in a manner that you will be dropped off at the scheduled stop as close to “on time” as possible (passenger may arrive at scheduled stop earlier than requested). Only scheduled pick-ups and drop-offs will be honored.
ADA Complementary Paratransit service will be provided for visitors with disabilities, who do not reside in the jurisdictions served by RFTA. Out-of-town visitors should request eligibility for ADA Complementary Paratransit service before the first desired day of travel.
Once registered with RFTA, visitors will be able to utilize the service for any combination of 21 days during a 365-day period, beginning with the visitor’s first use of service. Visitors requesting to use ADA Complementary Paratransit service more than 21 days during a 365-day period must apply for and receive eligibility certification through RFTA. For additional information and to set up a brief phone assessment, please contact the RFTA ADA Complementary Paratransit Service Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (970) 384-4855.
RFTA will make reasonable efforts to assist individuals with disabilities, non-English speakers, and others unable to file a written complaint. To file a complaint, commendation, or for questions or comments, please contact RFTA’s ADA Complementary Paratransit Service Coordinator (970) 384-4855 or email email@example.com. A TTY-TTD system is available for the hearing impaired by calling (800) 659-3656, or for Spanish call (970) 384-4950. For issues regarding a discrimination complaint call (970) 384-4974 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
RFTA is committed to operating high-quality service in compliance with ADA Complementary Paratransit service.
Please use the forms on our Contact Us page to ask a question or submit a comment, complaint, suggestion or commendation. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can properly address your concern. Your request will be routed to the appropriate department. You may also email email@example.com.