Training & Conditions of Employment
Please note: All applicants must pass a drug test as a condition of employment for all safety-sensitive positions.
If you do not have your CDL license we will train you for free. Starting wage for non-CDL Seasonal Drivers is currently $16.82 per hour and $17.00 for CDL drivers.
If you are selected to become an employee of RFTA you will be required to have, or secure, your Commercial Driver's License (CDL-BP2), before system training begins. Here is a sequenced procedure list for obtaining your CDL:
- Take the DOT eye and physical exams, and pre-employment drug and alcohol tests. RFTA pays for these required exams. However, any additional testing required for you to pass any test is paid for by the employee. You should take these before you take the written tests.
- Return a copy of the approved physical form to us.
- Read sections one through five in the Colorado CDL pamphlet.
- Take the CDL Permit Test. Present your Social Security card and DOT Physical card at the Motor Vehicle Testing Center. You must show your Social Security card at the Drivers' Licensing Office in order to take any of the written exams. If you pass the written test you will be issued a CDL permit. Call us as soon as you have the permit and we will schedule you for the three-day course that prepares you for the CDL Road Test.
- Take the three-day CDL Road Certification Course. You will be paid for this training time. Following the completion of the course you will be scheduled for the Road Test. Testing time is not paid for.
- After passing the Road Test, take the Road Test Certification form to the Motor Vehicle Office, along with $25, for issuance of your CDL. Once you have obtained your CDL you will be scheduled for a two-week, paid RFTA system training course.
- To qualify for employee housing you must have a Colorado driver's license.
- In order to convert your out of state driver's license to a Colorado one you will need your out of state license, your birth certificate or passport, and $25
Click the button above to download the CDL study manual to help you prepare for your test.